Roma Civil Monitor
Roma Civil Monitor is a pilot project with the full title of ‘Capacity building for Roma civil society and strengthening its involvement in the monitoring of national Roma integration strategies’.
The objective of the pilot project is to contribute to strengthening the monitoring mechanisms of the implementation of the national Roma integration strategies through systematic civil society monitoring. The additional value of civil society monitoring comes from the independent status and the field experience of participating NGOs. The pilot project aims to enhance civil society monitoring in two key ways: by developing the policy monitoring capacities of civil society actors, and by supporting the preparation of high-quality, comprehensive annual civil society monitoring reports. The project will be implemented with active participation of around 90 NGOs from 27 member states (Malta is not part of the pilot project as there is no Roma community). See a general description of the pilot project and a background of the civil monitoring initiative.
The main activities of the pilot project include:
- NGO involvement: call and selection, participating organizations
- Capacity building: knowledge bank, workshops and written guidelines for monitoring
- Development of country monitoring reports by local NGOs
- Analysis and synthesis of data from local NGOs
- Dissemination of monitoring reports
- Networking of NGOs